When Life Happens.

by katelin on April 20, 2012

Although I am a generally happy person, life is not always unicorns, puppy dogs, rainbows and magical things. I try not to get too serious on this blog because seriously, where is the freaking fun in that? But as you know, sometimes I just have to.

Sometimes I have to talk about the serious to get back to happy and get back to where I was and where I want to be. So. Here we go (I accidentally typed ho at first and almost kept it but then realized that would probably take away from the serious, but eh, details, ha).

So if you saw some my tweets last week so you saw that it was one of those weeks.

One of those impossibly hard and difficult weeks where all you can think of is “when does something good happen?”

It was an eye opener to say the least and one of those weeks that made me so grateful to have so many wonderful friends and family.

In the course of four days, someone close to me lost their family dog. The next day they lost their baby to a very severe case of spina bifida four months into their pregnancy. And then my great uncle passed away.

Talk about a roller coaster of emotions over here.

We came together, we cried, we stayed close, we everything.

Although it was sad to lose the dog, he was so old and we all know he’s in a better place which made the loss a little easier to take.

The loss of the baby. Was insanely hard. For everyone. And it still is. It’s never easy and never will be. But we’re all in it together and I know that one day they will be wonderful parents, this just was not that time.

As for my great uncle, this weekend family from absolutely everywhere is coming together to celebrate his life. I am so proud that I had so much of my life to know him, to talk to him and to love him like the grandfathers I’d already lost.

With that, go hug someone right this second. Smile. Listen to some One Direction (because damn them and their uber catchy songs) and embrace a little bit of happy.

And next week I’ll be back with all sorts of wonderous things because it’s *cough*mybirthdayonwednesday*cough* so it better be one hell of a week!

happy weekend!

Posted in Me Things

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

AnjaPN April 20, 2012 at 2:41 am

Sad to hear you were surrounded by so much sadness – but sooo nice to have good people around you, who help you thru all this – and what’s equally good is to be there for someone who’s going thru something sad. I hope your birthday week (cause we all know it’s gonna last a whole week) is gonna be awesome.

Julie Q April 20, 2012 at 6:18 am

Ohhh Katelin, so sad to hear all that you and your loved ones are going through. Know that your internet family is here for you too even though we can’t give you an actual hug right now!!

The Modern Gal April 20, 2012 at 6:44 am

I’m so sorry for your family’s losses. Losing someone, even if it’s a pet, is always hard, so I can only imagine how tough it is to face all three at the same time. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.

brandy April 20, 2012 at 7:18 am

Girl. I’m so sorry that you have been going through so much. What a whack of curveballs to be thrown in such a short amount of time. I am thinking of you & Matt and I hope that the days are getting easier. And that LIFE just cools it for a while. Happy almost birthday!

heidikins April 20, 2012 at 8:35 am

Oh goodness, honey, I am so sorry for your loss and for the losess of your friends. Sending lots of love and hugs your way.

xox

Kourtney April 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

You seriously are awesome. Though I know where most of that is directed, it’s always nice that your anecdotes still help your little sister :) Even if it is freaking 6 months later (yes, you know what I’m talking about) reassurance is everything!

Love love love you, you magical woman <3

suki April 20, 2012 at 9:00 am

Sounds like a tough week! Sending good thoughts through the internet! And that song “Call me maybe” is soooo freakin’ catchy too.

Nora April 20, 2012 at 9:19 am

That’s a beautiful photo of your Great Uncle. I will definitely go hug someone and I’m virtually hugging you, too. xo

doniree April 20, 2012 at 9:38 am

WOW. That’s a lot of stuff in a really short amount of time. It’s encouraging to see everyone coming together though and loving and supporting each other so much. Here’s love to you from the midwest — BIG hugs, lady. xo.

Ashley // Our Little Apartment April 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

Oh, man. How awful. I’m so sorry. :(

When life shows its ugly side, it’s hard to feel happy and positive. I hope you and the people around you get a break soon. <3

Christine @ Park House Love April 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Aww Katelin..I’m so sorry for your loss and the losses of your friend. When things happen like that it really makes you realize how short life is and how we really need to make the most of the time we have. Hugs.

Stevie April 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm

How heartbreaking! I’m so sorry you’re having a rough time. My thoughts are with you and your family, as well as your friends!

Susan April 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your losses. I’m thinking about you and am always inspired by your positive spirit. Here’s to next week looking up.

Stephany April 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I’m sorry, Katelin. You and your family have been through so much these past weeks. It can’t be easy but this is such a beautiful post.

“So yes, life gets serious and life knocks the wind out of you. But you’ll be okay, I’ll be okay, we’ll all be okay.” LOVE that. Seriously. You rock, lady.

Melissa April 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Aw Katelin I’m sorry this week has been so awful to you. Trust me, I totally know how you feel. That was me every day of March. I was like Oh My God when will this month end?!

It’s never easy when life hands you a big dose of ugly, but we all get through it. Wishing you the best for the weekend and next week! (YAY BIRTHDAYS!)

Nic April 21, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Sending you hugs, prayers, and good thoughts Katelin! Here’s wishing you a better week and an amazing birthday week (not day, week as birthdays should be celebrated for more than one day, right?)

maria April 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm

sending you lots of hugs. i hope this week is extra fabulous for your birthday!

Jessica April 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Aww honey, I’m so sorry. I’ve been so MIA from blogging and Twitter during the day, I had no idea. Thinking of you and sending so many big hugs. Text me anytime you need to talk.

San April 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm

So sorry your family had such a tough week… three deaths all over the emotional spectrum. I can imagine that you must be exhausted. I hope you’re feeling happier and more hopeful again this week.

Hugs.

terra April 25, 2012 at 4:47 am

Hugs, lady. I’m sorry you had such a tough week and I hope this one has been better.